The Journal of Palestine Studies (JPS) is a quarterly, peer-reviewed journal founded in 1971 and co-published by the Institute for Palestine Studies and the University of California Press. We consider unsolicited original submissions in all disciplines addressing issues broadly related to Palestine, Palestinians, and Arab-Israeli
relations. Articles should be academically rigorous but written in language accessible to the educated general reader interested in Palestine. Queries should be directed to the JPS Managing Editor: [email protected]
Articles submitted to JPS for consideration must follow the following guidelines. Submissions that do not meet these criteria will be rejected without review: Manuscripts must be emailed as an attached MS-Word document to [email protected].
- Manuscripts must be original and cannot be simultaneously submitted to other journals or previously published.
- Manuscripts must not exceed 8,000 words, including citations.
- Citations must follow the Chicago Manual of Style and be formatted as endnotes.
- JPS does not use in-text citations or bibliographies.
- Transliterations from Arabic should follow a simplified version of the International Journal of Middle East Studies system.
- Transliterations from Modern Hebrew should follow common Israeli usage.
- Submissions must be accompanied by a brief author identification and an abstract not exceeding 100 words.
THE REVIEW PROCESS
Receipt of submissions will be acknowledged by the JPS editorial staff within 2 weeks.
- Manuscripts that meet the guidelines are subject to initial evaluation by JPS editorial staff to determine whether to submit them to external blind peer review.
- Blind peer review generally takes 8-10 weeks. Authors will be notified of the readers evaluation and recommendations, which will be summarized. Authors of manuscripts recommended for revision will be given an expected date to resubmit.
- Resubmitted manuscripts are subject to a second review.
- Articles accepted for publication by JPS are edited for clarity, content, and form by JPS editorial staff, in consultation with the author.
- Graphic materials for accepted articles must be provided as camera-ready artwork or in a digital format.
Those interested in reviewing books should contact JPS Assistant Editor Brittany Dawson at [email protected].